Ideas for fitness mode

I’ve been using the latest versions of Stepmania for fitness purposes. Using fitness mode almost every day has given me some insight about what features could be great for improving it. Here are some ideas:

• Calorie burning information is just provided at the end of each song. It could be tremendously useful to have that information also during the select song screen. To see how far the player is to reach his or her goal.
  • In 5.3 Alpha 4.5, you can see your point history for the session. It would be amazing to see your calorie history too.
  • I don’t know how the calorie count is done, but shouldn’t the software ask for height and weight to make that estimation? It happens in most fitness software when you make your profile.
  • Once you finish the song and get past the stats screen, there’s no way to access that information again. Could there be a way to permanently store your exercise history? There’s only the total number of songs played and calories burned of all time, which is of little use to establish a routine.
  • In the song selection screen, you could see the expected calories to burn for the song. Difficulty is sometimes misleading, as sometimes you burn more calories with a low difficulty song. Sometimes I’m looking for the song that would burn me the most calories.

If I can think of more, I’ll add them.

1 Like

A lot of these ideas are actually quite great, and I can get to experiment on them to include them after 4.6, as I am busy working on the stuff for that version. So, let’s go through them.

[ Calorie burning information is just provided at the end of each song. It could be tremendously useful to have that information also during the select song screen. ]
Can definetly be done. The game actually saves every calorie burned by the player per song, it would just be a matter of making a spot for it during the screen.

[ In 5.3 Alpha 4.5, you can see your point history for the session. It would be amazing to see your calorie history too. ]
Same as the last one, it can be done with some simple tweaks.

[ * I don’t know how the calorie count is done, but shouldn’t the software ask for height and weight to make that estimation? It happens in most fitness software when you make your profile. ]
Absolutely agree. The engine right now obtains this information manually via the profile screen (and right now, that area is getting a full rework). So, very likely I’ll work on automatically asking for information like that if it’s not present on the profile.

[ Once you finish the song and get past the stats screen, there’s no way to access that information again. Could there be a way to permanently store your exercise history? ]
This one might take a bit, since the most that is stored is calories burned per day and during the profile’s entire lifetime as a single value. So displaying it in a more detailed matter will take a bit.

[ In the song selection screen, you could see the expected calories to burn for the song. ]
Can experiment with this idea. I’ll just need to perform calculations based on user data.

[ Sometimes I’m looking for the song that would burn me the most calories. ]
I get your idea, and it’s actually quite great, incentivizes more activity on a harder chart. Maybe I’ll display this on the difficulty selector on Select Music, but ill need to see a way to make it noticeable as there’s not a lot of space on it.

Not sure if you guys aren’t already planning this, but adding an option to use centimeters for height and kilograms for weight would be greatly appreciated by everyone living in places that use the metric system